Monday, February 6, 2023

Family Treasures




 

This is my grandmother's dough bowl. I watched her making biscuits countless times. She kept her bowl in a Hoosier cabinet in her kitchen. She would sift flour in the bowl and add shortening and buttermilk, She would work the dough with her hands and roll out the most delicious biscuits! It is a treasured keepsake. 

My grandmother Ethel McDaniel Reese

This locket belonged to Adjaliene Birdsong Eley, my 3rd great grandmother. She married Osborn Eley in Ogelthorpe County, GA on February 25, 1828. She was the mother of Anne, Marcus, James, Sarah, Richard and Judson. She died in Randolph County, GA on November 12, 1843  This necklace was in the possession of my great uncle James Blakeley. Many of the family treasures I have came from his home in Woodbury, GA. He lived there with his mother Elizabeth Birdsong Ely and his grandmother Martha Frances Dumas Ely. He gave me this locket and many treasures after he came to live with my mother and father.

The sherry glasses belonged to my second great grandmother Martha Frances Dumas Ely. 

My great great grandmother Martha Frances Dumas was born on Decmber 25, 1834. Her parents were Moses and Frances Hendley Dumas.





The ink well, shaving mug and bible belonged to my great great grandfather Marcus Bethune Ely. He carried the bible during the Civil War.
Marcus Bethune Ely



Written in his bible on Sunday morning March 12, 1864: "If I fall in this battle, I lose my life in a just and holy cause and I know you will cherish my memory in your heart   M. B. Ely
April 19th 1864: In line of battle south of Kingston 7 o'clock P.M. I am thinking of the loved ones at home. 


My great aunt Esther Blakely Klutts (my grandmother Ruby Blakely Self's sister) sent me this delapidated family bible that belonged to Moses Dumas (my 3rd great grandfather). It's a miracle this bible survived, it went through the 1928 Lake Okechoobee Hurricane in Moorehaven, Florida where my great aunt was living at the time. 




The Dumas family bible purchased by Moses Dumas in 1826. 











No comments:

Post a Comment

Henry Smith Rev War Patriot

Service Voucher for Henry Smith Henry Smith, my fourth great grandfather, (birthplace and family unknown), was born September 1752. He marri...